Thursday, August 11, 2011

Brought to you today by the letter 'R'...

I got the itch to create the other day. That's what pinterest does to me. I'm obsessed. I truthfully didn't even see anything specifically that had me wanting to do a certain project... but my jigsaw was calling my name. I haven't used it in a while, and I KNEW we had scrap wood enough to do something fun! I absolutely LOVE the letter trend... but I HATE buying wooden/cardboard letters because they can be expensive.

I've made two homemade "monograms" (is that what you call them?) already, but they're just... eh.
This one I made using just a square piece of wood. I painted it brown then painted the white R... and then distressed it a bit. Nothin' too special...

I like this one a little better... and it took a little longer to make. I traced an 'R' onto a piece of cardboard and used an exacto knife to cut it out. I did that 3 more times and hot-glued all four pieces one on top of the other. I Mod Podged torn-up book pages all along the side of the 'R' to cover up the cardboard. Then, I painted a piece of cardstock with the design (which I just found online and copied... nothin' special..) and cut and Mod Podged it on top. That's all! And it was FREE. I had everything on hand already!

I wanted a bigger one though!
And obviously the bigger they get, the more expensive they are. Of course, I've wanted a big one for awhile to group together with empty pictures frames or even to hang on the front door in place of a wreath. I had a scrap piece of particle (or partical...) board that was about a foot tall, and I just knew it was meant to be. I free-handed an 'R' with a pencil (not sure what font you would call that... it's kinda wonky... so wonky font it is.), and I got to cutting with the jigsaw. I sanded down the edges to make the lines a little cleaner, sprayed a few coats of spray paint (the color is "Ivy Leaf", I think...), and...
There she is! I'm pretty proud. Obviously it would have been better if I printed out the letter and traced it on the particle board, but we don't have a printer... so I made do. I have big plans for my new letter. I hope to have it done later today! I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

  1. I love the "wonky font"! I wish I could free hand like that! But my free hand is terrible....and I actually practice free hand sometimes :(
    I love the letter trend too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Ha, I can't take full credit for the font... my handwriting is not normally that computerized... I DEFINITELY copied!

    ReplyDelete