Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Baby Legs"

Have you ever heard of or used (for your little ones) "Baby Legs"? They are basically leg warmers for babies, and they are awesome! They make diaper changing a little quicker since you don't have to pull pants down and put them back on. And for little girls, they work well in place of tights! From what I hear, they can be a little expensive... so why not make your own?! (This is not my original idea. I have seen a bunch of different way to make them, and I've combined the methods I liked best!)

So here's my favorite way to make Baby Legs!

What you need:
Long/knee high socks
scissors
sewing machine
thread

First, cut off the heel and the toe of your sock.

You will just need the leg and the foot part... you can tell I got impatient and wanted to just sew the striped pair because I just stopped taking pictures!

Take the foot part of the sock and fold it in half (wrong sides together) so the cut/raw ends are matched up.

Now, insert the leg part of the sock in the middle of the folded foot tube you just made. You will be sewing through 3 layers of material. At this point you can pin the pieces in place OR if you're impatient, you can just skip the pinning. You can tell the path I chose...

Onto the machine! Use the zigzag stitch since you're sewing stretchy knit fabric OR if you have a serger (I wish!), that would be even better!

I could pretend that I used a contrasting colored thread to show you what I did... but the truth is I was once again impatient and didn't want to switch out the thread... do you see a trend here??

Flip the folded part up, and guess what! That's it!

You can literally make a pair 5 minutes or less. It's probably the easiest sewing project ever. And these will fit baby girl for quite awhile! Right now she wears them scrunched up so she has plenty of length to grow!

PayPay modeling her "Baby Legs"! Oh, and her skirt? You can find it here at Delia Creates. Another VERY easy sewing project! It's made from an old T-shirt! I'm a HUGE fan of refashioning/upcycling clothes!

That's all for today! Happy Wednesday!

2 comments: