Friday, January 14, 2011

Quiche, anyone?

I have another recipe for you! Spinach and Sausage Quiche is a Routh family favorite. When Kyle and I got married I knew I needed to quickly learn this recipe and know it well. This quiche has what Kyle calls "the perfect taste." I love making it for him and hearing the, "Ahhh..." of delight! Food is the way to a man's heart, isn't it?! So thanks my my mother-in-law, Janice, for a wonderful go-to recipe!! :)
Ingredients:
1 small onion, diced
2 Tbs. butter
1 lb. sausage
1/4 tsp. oregano
dash of garlic
1 cup swiss cheese, grated
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
10-12 oz. package of chopped spinach, thawed and drained
pie crust, pre-made or make your own
parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350.
I'm showing off my Kitchen Aid chopper again. Y'all...it's that amazing! I use it all the time!!
-Dice up that onion...I chop mine into really tiny pieces because I don't like huge chunks of onion in anything.
Once the oven is preheated, throw your pie crust in the oven for 7-10 minutes. You really just want a slightly browned pie shell so don't forget about it!
-Melt the butter over Med/High heat and sautee the diced onion until tender.
-Throw the sausage in with the sautee'd onions and cook until crumbled and brown.
-Go ahead and turn the eye off for now...

At this point, I remember how greasy sausage is and wonder why I wanted to make this...so I dump the cooked sausage onto a plate covered with paper towels. Then I dab it with more paper towels so as to soak up as much grease as possible...
I mean, look at that!! Gross! Okay, maybe I shouldn't have shown that...I promise this really ends up being tasty!
-Throw the sausage and onion mix back into the pan and turn the eye back on to Simmer or Low.
-Sprinkle the oregano and garlic in.
-Once you've grated the cheese, sprinkle it into your sausage mixture and mix well. Make sure the cheese melts evenly through the mixture and not just one big clump.
-Mix your egg and milk in a separate bowl and pour into the mixture.
-Next comes the spinach...make sure it's drained well! You don't want any extra moisture
-Pour the sausage and spinach mixture into the slightly browned pie crust and sprinkle with grated parmesan.
-The quiche needs to cook for 40-45 minutes.
-And here's your finished product! Easy as pie...or quiche. Enjoy!
Here's my hubby enjoying his piece after a night of deer hunting...he came so close to bring a deer home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment