Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summer Meal Ideas!

I LOVE Summery meals! I am a big fan of fresh vegetables, and both of the meals I'm sharing with you include them! I have gone on and on about my FAVORITE food blog called Our Best Bites... and here I go again! :) Their Greek Style Pitas are amazingly fresh and so, so tasty!
We change just a couple things about the recipe to fit our taste... we both LOVE fresh baby spinach and almost always have it in the fridge so we use that instead of a lettuce leaf. We also add feta into our sauce to give it a little texture. In the greek pico, we also used green onions instead of red onion. The red onion flavor is too strong for me, and Kyle is sweet to put up with my pickiness! Finally, we like to use a couple different varieties of tomatoes. I am in love with the orange tomatoes (I can't remember their name!) and you can never go wrong with Roma tomatoes... together they are perfection.
Kroger has had a 3 for $1 deal on corn on the cob, and it was a PERFECT pairing for our pitas! We put our corn straight on the grill for a few minutes, and it is delicious! I can't get enough of fresh corn... I even love the taste of corn on the cob right out of the fridge!

Our second summery meal is Teriyaki Chicken Salad Sandwiches. Chicken salad is SO easy, and it can be made SO many different ways! Eat it with a side of....what else, corn on the cob!
We have been going the lazy route and buying a rotisserie chicken from Kroger (pretty inexpensive, though!), and using the already cooked chicken. We didn't have any teriyaki sauce this go 'round, so we added a little Captain Rodney's (a sauce used for a baked cheesy appetizer) instead. I would even suggest a little honey if you needed extra flavor! Along with mango, we also put a handful of chopped grapes for another texture. Sunflower seeds were also pretty good in place of the almonds. Like I said, chicken salad is SO versatile that it's hard to go wrong! OH. And please, please eat it on a croissant. Don't just use sandwich bread like we did this time... you won't regret it!

Just for fun...
If you've read this blog before I'm sure you recognize this face... haha, this is the "CHEESE" face!
Parker wanted to pose with Mama for a picture!! I was so happy to accept! :)

What are some of your favorite summer meals? I would LOVE more fresh ideas!

Other fun meal ideas:
Grilled Honey Lime Pork Chops (I shared them with you HERE)

No comments:

Post a Comment